Adopted December 2006, revised August 2007
To recognize and pay tribute for outstanding athletic achievement, coaching or service to Portage Central High School (PCHS), since its inception as Portage Agricultural School in 1922.
Hall of Fame Committee Composition
- The committee shall consist of seven individuals.
- Current and retired employees of the Portage Public School District , along with members of the community shall be eligible to serve on the committee.
- The High School Athletic Director, or his designate, shall serve as a committee member.
Criteria for Selection to the Hall of Fame
- A nominee becomes eligible for consideration if:
- An athlete, ten years after graduation from PCHS.
- A coach after completion of primary coaching duties.
- A person who does not meet point one or two but has contributed to the support of Portage Central athletics.
- Nominees must have made a significant and distinguishing contribution to Portage Central athletics in one or more sports.
- Nominees must have distinguished themselves with a high degree of character throughout their high school, post high school, and adult lives.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Committee members may nominate any athlete, coach or support personnel.
- Nominations from the public shall be solicited each year through notices in the local media and school district publications. Nominations will be accepted by the PCHS Athletic Director. Nominations will be accepted anytime, although the Hall of Fame Committee will only review nominations received prior to March 15 th each year.
- Nominations shall be screened by the Hall of Fame Committee at regularly scheduled Hall of Fame Committee meetings.
- The initial group of inductees in the 2008-09 school year will be known as charter members that will consist of no more than ten individuals. The following class will consist of no more than eight inductees; the third year no more than six inductees; and in subsequent classes the maximum number of inductees will be five per year.
- Between October 1 st and March 15 th of each school year, the Hall of Fame Committee will screen nominees, and the final selection shall take place by April 15 th of that year.
- Nominations are permanent. Once a nomination is received, they do not have to be re-submitted other than updating their file with current or new information.
- An appropriate home athletic contest shall be selected to honor each year's inductees.
- There will be a banquet (prior to the game; following the game; the day after the game) to properly honor Hall of Fame inductees. The banquet shall be open to the public. Fees to attend and take part in the banquet are the responsibility of those in attendance. The Hall of Fame Committee will pay for the cost of the inductee and a guest to attend the game and a banquet.
- Each inductee shall receive an award recognizing their contribution to PCHS athletics. There will also be a permanent plaque that will be appropriately displayed in the high school.
- All Hall of Fame costs will be generated by non-PCHS funds. The Hall of Fame Committee is responsible for soliciting donations to cover any and all costs associated with the Hall of Fame.
- Unless an inductee has passed away or is physically unable to ever attend the ceremony, inductees who are unable to attend the year they are selected will be inducted the following year based on their availability. This change will not impact or change the number of members inducted in either year.